This week marks the halfway point for my summer internship at SnappyScreen. I have learned every perspective, along with the ins and outs that go into creating the brand and machine. It has been a holistic experience in learning the multidimensional nature of a company. However, due to the size of the company, it has made this concept so tangible and easily comprehendible in seeing every angle daily, specifically in entrepreneurial sales.

This week, I have been assigned to focus a lot of my efforts in sales because it is peak sales season. After our original set locations throughout Mexico and the Caribbean, all of the interns have been assigned to research a new area and pursue it personally. It has been a great responsibility and honor to take ownership in a region and form relationships with the employees of the different resorts. I am currently working with resorts in Anguilla as well as St. Kitts and am selecting a new location next week!  We have 26 meetings scheduled with resort leadership thus far and are hoping to get 36 by the end of next week. To help keep us motivated, we have a running count on the whiteboard, which allows us to see daily the difference we are making.

Sales have been a great learning experience that applies to so many of my hopes and dreams for the future. When reaching out to hundreds of resorts, it has enlightened me on the tremendous patience and dedication required for an entrepreneurial venture. It is rare for a resort to recognize SnappyScreen or quickly grasp its concept over a ten-minute phone call. Because of this, it is vital to form relationships at these resorts to encourage them to want to learn more about SnappyScreen and its wide array of benefits. SnappyScreen is such an advanced approach to sunscreen application that people are often intrigued by the thought of ending the 100-year-old norm of manual application. 

In each of my entrepreneurship courses at Wake Forest University, I was required to craft an entrepreneurial venture and deliver an elevator speech to my entire class. This complete yet concise nature of an elevator speech prepared me for a role in sales. When on the phone, I need to efficiently explain SnappyScreen in a precise manner that highlights all aspects of the machine, but in a time frame that upholds the recipient’s attention. It has been quite challenging to master the perfect script, but at this halfway point, I think I have mastered it! I’m sure I’ll keep evolving as I track more trends amongst recipient’s responses. 

I am excited for these final weeks where hopefully our success will be heightened from all of the knowledge and experience we have gained thus far. Our teachers, Kristen and Katelyn, are truly exceptional and have been incredible role models for all of us! Their trust and appointed responsibility are so encouraging, and we strive to make them proud!

Written by Ellen Magnier, #WakeEntrepreneur