Having completed half of my sports entrepreneurship internship with Shah Sports Group this summer, I think it is important to take a step back and reflect on the lessons I have learned. Shah Sports Group is a full-service athlete representation agency that handles everything for their clients from contract negotiations to endorsement deals off the field. Before starting my internship this summer, I knew that the world of sports business was something I wanted to get exposed to, and I do not think there could have been a better environment for me to do so than with Shah Sports Group.

Shah Sports Group has only been in business for two years, so much of the legwork thus far has been taking calculated steps towards developing the brand. I have come to realize how crucial it is for a sports agency to be engaged with their clients on social media. Why? Because it’s not only vital to our clients to be proud to be associated with us, but also, it allows potential new clients to see the type of relationships we have which will hopefully lead them to want to partner with us.

Over the last couple of weeks, the other interns and I have been working tirelessly to connect with brands who are willing to donate some of their products for our “care packages” that we are sending to the athletes when they are at training camp. The upside for the brands is that they can begin a relationship with Shah Sports Group that represents over 10 NFL players, and possibly have their product shared on the athlete’s social media accounts. Some brands are more than willing to participate in our care packages, but others need more convincing, which has given me significant sales experience that can be utilized in any field.

It has also been awesome to work with my mentor and Wake alum, Tyler Gaetano this summer. Tyler was the second full-time employee at Shah Sports Group and is continuing to play a big part in the growth of the company. Tyler has made sure that the other interns and I feel welcomed every day and that we are doing meaningful work that is advancing our careers. Sometimes, some work may seem like it is “busy work,” but Tyler is always quick to explain the significance of the tasks and why they must get done. But more so, we are all involved in crucial aspects of the company and making connections to the real world that I may not have received if I was interning for a larger agency.

The work I have been doing this summer combines my love of sports with my passion for entrepreneurship, and I consider myself extremely lucky to have such an opportunity. I am planning to take my MLBPA certified agent exam next year, which will hopefully allow me to be a licensed MLB agent by the time I graduate college. Shah Sports Group has already played an enormous role in making sure my preparation for that process is sound, and that I have access to all the tools and resources I need to be successful.

Written by Nate Epstein, #WakeEntrepreneur