General FAQ

Q: How do I declare a minor in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise?

A: An application is required for enrollment in the ESE Minor.  Follow these links for more information about minor requirements.  Students may also contact Dr. Bill Conner ( to make an appointment to discuss a course of study for the minor.

Q: I have an idea for starting a new business. Where do I go for help?

A: Students (undergraduate or graduate) who have questions about starting or managing a venture should contact Polly Black ( at the Center for Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship (CICE), 230 Reynolda Hall.  

Q: Can anyone apply for a New Venture Grant?

A: The new venture grants are only available to current students through the CICE. Calls for submissions are usually sent out in the fall and spring semesters. Contact Polly Black ( or Lisa Burton ( for more information.

Q: How can I get involved in the Entrepreneurial Fellows Summer Internship Program?

A: Through the CICE, a limited number of summer stipends are offered for students wishing to pursue an unpaid summer internship either working on their own ventures or working with an entrepreneur or company in the start-up to early growth stage.  The application process takes place in the Spring Semester and is very competitive (3:1 ratio of applicants to awardees).  Follow this link for more information or stop by the CICE office at 230 Reynolda Hall. 

If you have an internship opportunity to offer, please contact Lisa Burton ( or phone: 336-758-3153, and thank you for thinking of our students for this summer.  These experiences are invaluable for the learning they offer and our students come back from their summers very appreciative of the opportunity afforded them.

Q: Where can I find a sample business plan?

A: Click here for a guide to writing a business plan. You can also receive help with the business planning process through the Center for Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship or the Angell Center. You may also check out our Resources Section for more information.